wtda

Abilene Daily Reporter--The Abilene Reporter--Abilene Semi-Weekly Farm Reporter--Abilene Semi-Weekly Reporter 1888-1923

West Texas Digital Archives

 

Abilene Daily Reporter--The Abilene Reporter--Abilene Semi-Weekly Farm Reporter--Abilene Semi-Weekly Reporter 1888-1923

The collection consists of microfilm of editions of the first and longest running newspaper in Abilene, Texas. The Abilene Reporter – News began publication on June 17, 1881 as the Abilene Reporter. The first printing occurred three months after the sale of town lots establishing the railroad town of Abilene, Texas. Publication has continued with only minor interruptions since that time despite one bankruptcy and one near bankruptcy. Since the first printing the paper has chronicled the growth and development of Abilene, Texas, and the region of central West Texas and has played a vital role in most of the important events in the area’s history. The earliest papers were published as afternoon editions, in good times on a daily basis and in economic downturns weekly or at times semi-weekly. A Sunday edition was added in 1908 and continues to the present. Subscription to the AP Wire Service began in 1906. Around 1900, the name of the paper was changed from Abilene Reporter to Abilene Daily Reporter. In 1926, a morning edition, named the Abilene Morning News, was started. Both papers were published under the combined name of Abilene Reporter-News starting in 1937. In 1997, E.W. Scripps Company purchased the Harte-Hanks newspaper division, which included the Abilene Reporter-News. Copies of the first years of publication have been lost, but, a weekly published by James A. Lowry, who operated as a friendly competitor to the Abilene Reporter, reported on the events in the region including the duel between Gilbert and Gibbs.. After Lowry sold the paper in 1899, subsequent owners published it as a daily and renamed it the Abilene Morning News. The Morning News was purchased by the Abilene Printing Company, owner of the Abilene Reporter, in 1911 and the name was retired until 1926 when it was resurrected by the company as the Abilene Morning News. Both morning and evening editions of papers were published under the current name, Abilene Reporter-News, beginning in 1937.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><span style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: &quot;Times New Roman&quot;;">Microfilm is available in the Reference Section of the Abilene Public Library – Main Branch. Issues through December 23, 1923 are available on line at the West Texas Digital archives website or the Abilene Library catalog. </span>

 

Recent Submissions

Search


Advanced Search

Browse

My Account